Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Eternity ~Robert Bishop



"Have you ever wondered how you would get through a difficult time, or where life is leading you? Have you ever asked, why Lord, why me? Often, I like to go to the water’s edge to get the answers. The sound of the waves rippling along the shore, and the beauty of a peaceful sunset help to bring a calming mood.

As I began to paint “Eternity”, I focused on the sunset’s power over the early evening sky. The fiery sunset revealed two paths. One went straight to the sun. The other crossed the horizon and faded away. Life is a journey of daily steps and decisions that take us to our eternity.

Our chosen path leads us to or away from God’s revealing light. So often, we wonder which way to go. We search for answers, direction and purpose. When faced with life’s overwhelming situations, we may not understand why things have happened or what we are to do. We must remember that we are never alone. God is all around us. He will be there every step of the way. Proverbs 3:5,6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.” His path will sustain us through this life and lead to a wonderful Eternity!"
by
Robert Bishop

I am not a Christian or Catholic or a believer in either as I am Pagan but this piece has always held a profound, magical meaning for me, even the scripture.

Eternity first made itself known to me 4 years ago at The Festival of Friends in Hamilton, Ontario. A festival both Mom and I looked forward to attending each and every year. It stuck with me as I now acknowledge it was a sign of the steps and decisions I would later make to determine my own Eternity.

I was pleased to see it again the following summer when I took the beautiful painting home. It now lives brightly on the wall beside my bed, complete with Robert Bishop's autograph and well wishes.

I have always been mesmerized by sunsets. Not so much the rises as I, myself, hardly rise early enough to take part. I look to the setting sun even more so now for peace and comfort and have been missing the warm rays and multi-coloured skies the last foggy couple of evenings.

Last night I suffered a spell of sadness and I am unclear as to why. I am where I've wanted to be, I am happy yet there is one thing missing. I have been spending some time turning to the past to find it, to relive those treasured moments and while the memories suffice, for now, it will not always be enough.

I was 17 when I first fell in love. It was passionate, wild, and adventurous - terrain I had never tread before. The summer after our first on the front porch of his brothers house with friends surrounding us, he lowered himself onto one knee.

"There's something I've been wanting to ask you," he said, looking up at me and revealed a small black box. My heart thumped, brow instantly covered in sweat, knees ready to buckle. It was a moment I had not been ready for or even anticipated but dreamed of.

He opened the lid of the box and the ring that was tucked inside was not the kind of ring I had been expecting.

His lips parted and words fell out that I will never forget.

"Will you wear my toe-ring?"

My heart dropped and eyes watered. Our friends laughed at my surprise and obvious disappointment. The kind of ring I had hoped for I did not receive from him but the toe-ring I wore throughout the next 4 seasons until it met its demise and snapped into 2 pieces and ironically, not long after that, we went our separate ways.

That kind of love and passion I've yet to experience again but Eternity gives me the hope that I am on the right path and some where along the trail love will make itself known to me as the painting had all those years ago.

No comments: